The first thing you have to do is completely strip the rifle of all the accessories on it. I took off the hand-guards, sights and the butt-stock. After you completely strip the rifle of the accessories you have to tape off the area’s you don’t want to cover in paint. I taped off the power levels for the rifle scope and both glass pieces on the scope. I also covered the glass piece on the flashlight and the power button. For the barrel I put a couple cotton balls in there, and I also put a couple cotton balls in the chamber. You can also tape off the mag well, but I simply put a Magpul magazine in there and camouflaged the magazine. Then I used Duaracoat Trustrip Cleaner/Degreaser to degrease and clean the rifle so the paint would stick better. To use to the degreaser I sprayed everything down with the degreaser and wiped it down with gun cleaning patches that I use to clean my firearms. Next I took a can of compressed air to help clean off all the little bits of clothes that were left behind from the cleaning patches.
After the rifle and accessories were degreased and cleaned I used Rustoleum Khaki as the base coat. I put 3 layers of the base coat on to help it from peeling and hopefully last a little bit longer. The base coat process took the longest since I had so many different parts I had to put the base coat one. After the 3 coats of base paint was put on and dried I used Rustoleum Deep Forest Green for the digital pattern. Most people use 3 colors but I wanted to see how well the Rustoleum would hold up and their product colors are pretty limited. I wasn't a huge fan of the way their Earth Brown and Army Green came out so I only used 2 colors.
The process for using the digital template was pretty simple, you just lay the plastic piece of the area you want to paint, and use cardboard sections in the surrounding areas to ensure they aren't painted. Then you just hit the template with the paint and when you take it off you have the digital part. Pretty easy right? The hard part is that the AR-15 doesn't have a lot of flat surfaces so you have to pretty creative on how to you get the plastic piece on there and as flat as you possibly can. There are some parts of the rifle where the digital blocks are not very block light, but from a distance you can’t really tell.
The digital template for the most part was pretty easy to use and the nice thing is that you can use it over and over again for new applications or for other firearms. The hardest part was stripping everything, cleaning and taping it all off. Although you had to be pretty creative on how you put the template on, for the most part it came out really well. The Rustoleum so far is holding up pretty good, even after a couple training events it has been good. However the paint doesn't hold on to rubber for well so the paint is wearing off both the Magpul MOE+ grip and the recoil pad of the Magpul Stock I have.
Primary Arms: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Camouflage_Stencil_p/pacs.htm